Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Contra Costa Times: Pimentel goes head-on with two good shoulders

Speedy linebacker excelled last season despite a torn labrum and dislocated shoulder

notebook

BERKELEY -- Cal linebacker Mickey Pimentel had a huge impact in 2005, an impact he made with only one good shoulder.  Following a season in which he had 34 tackles, including 81/2 for loss, Pimentel realized his left shoulder was giving him problems. He had hurt the shoulder during Cal's summer camp but didn't want to say much about it since he missed the first week of drills after transferring late from Pima Community College (Ariz.). An examination uncovered the fact that Pimentel played the season with a torn labrum and a dislocated shoulder that resulted in three cracked bones. He underwent surgery Feb. 7 to correct the problems. "I knew it hurt," Pimentel said after practice Tuesday night at Memorial Stadium. "But I didn't know it was that bad. I guess my adrenaline kept me pumped up."

Although Pimentel hasn't been able to lift weights as he normally would, he said he feels completely healthy. "We started bench-pressing last week, and I did 345 pounds," he said. "I could have done more, but it kind of scared me." Likewise, he will breathe a sigh of relief after making his first hit during contact drills Saturday. "I'm not worried about my range of motion," he said. "I'm just a little worried how it will react when I make that first hit." Defensive coordinator Bob Gregory said he'll use the speedy outside linebacker both on the line of scrimmage as a pass rusher and back in coverage.

With Pimentel's 31/2 sacks and two interceptions in 2005, Gregory will find a place to put Pimentel, even though Cal has a bevy of talented linebackers. "We all have talent," Pimentel said of his squad members. "We all can run. I was kind of mad in the spring because I wanted to be out there. That was the worst part of the surgery." Pimentel said he is confident he can have a big senior year. "Last year I came in so late, and I got frustrated learning the plays," he said. "In major college football, I actually had to think, and I wasn't used to that. In high school or junior college, they just lined me up and told me to go. "Last season, I messed up through the whole season. That was the reason I didn't get in there more. Now I have a year under my belt, and I trust myself and my teammates. I'm just reacting.

No Bambi

Cal coach Jeff Tedford said quarterback Nate Longshore had some mobility issues during spring ball, issues he had to overcome if he expected to regain his starting job. On Tuesday, Tedford said Longshore appears to have shaken off the effects of the broken leg he suffered last season against Sacramento State. "Nate looks like he has his legs more under him now," Tedford said. "He looked like Bambi in the spring. Now he has that explosion back." Longshore said he is having more trouble learning new offensive concepts than trying to move around. "Things have been a little tough (the first two days of practice), but I feel 100 percent healthy," he said. "I just needed my leg strength to come back. I think time was a factor."

Extra points

Punter Andrew Larson, a junior-college transfer from Saddleback College, hit several very high punts of about 50 yards during special teams drills. However, Tedford noted that Larson has some technique issues that must be addressed. "We have a lot of work to do," Tedford said. Tedford also is looking at walk-on freshman punter Scott Wingert out of Vacaville High School. ... Freshman offensive guard Chris Guarnero pulled a hamstring and will be limited in drills once contact begins Friday. ... Tedford said red-shirt freshman defensive end Tad Smith would miss the season due to an undisclosed injury.

No comments: