Tuesday, August 29, 2006

ESPN: QB Longshore to start Cal opener vs. Tennessee

By Joe Schad

Sophomore Nate Longshore will start at quarterback for Cal in the season opener at Tennessee, coach Jeff Tedford announced Tuesday.  Longshore outlasted last year's starter Joe Ayoob, who struggled in 2005 with 15 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. Tedford will still consider using Ayoob depending on the flow of the game.  Longshore missed all of last season after tearing ligaments in an ankle and breaking a leg in the second quarter of the opener against Sacramento State and has battled back problems recently.  "I've been working hard just to be able to play again," Longshore told ESPN's Joe Schad after practice. "My back is fine now. It was stiff yesterday but fine today. I'm ready to roll."  Longshore is not worried about his lack of experience on the field.  "I feel old, to be honest," Longshore said. "As a freshman, I watched Aaron Rodgers play. Then last year I had to watch from the sidelines. I'm fired up to play at Tennessee. It's pretty loud on the video game, so I'm sure it will be 100 times louder in person."

 

 

No comments: