Thursday, October 05, 2006

Contra Costa Times: Oregon is home to Coach Bellotti

By Jay Heater

Usually a calm man, Oregon football coach Mike Bellotti bristled. But it wasn't an official's call, a late hit or a dropped pass that drew his wrath. "Let me give you a tip," Bellotti said to a reporter. "It's Ore-GUN. Like a gun. Ore-GUN! "And it's not EWE-gene," he said. "You don't emphasize either of the syllables. It's just Eugene."  There was a time when the former Concord, Calif., resident and Ygnacio Valley High School grad wouldn't have cared about anything that happened in Eugene, Ore. Now, though, he has a deep sense of pride in the place he calls home, which no longer is the little house on San Simeon in Concord. "That was actually Detroit Avenue when I lived there," said Bellotti, who graduated from Ygnacio Valley in 1969. "They have since changed the name. "I drove past there a couple of years ago. My friend's father had died. They had lived only five blocks from me and I was back there for the funeral. So I drove past. "When I lived there, it was one of three houses. It's still there, but it looks real small and there are a lot of other houses there now. There used to be a stream and an open field where you could see pheasants. Now, the BART tracks run through there."

Read the entire article here.

No comments: