Sunday, August 20, 2006

Oakland Tribune: Confident Schutte is colorblind- Reserve Cal tailback pays no attention to the position's stereotype

By Dave Newhouse, STAFF WRITER

BERKELEY — He's a kid with a dream, a white kid who wants to be a college tailback. Skeptics will scoff at his dream as pure fantasy.

White tailbacks in Division-I football are a dying breed. But Bryan Schutte envisions himself carrying the ball one day for Cal, even though he's a non-scholarship player.   "In terms of race or color of skin, it never really bothered me," he said of playing tailback, his position since taking up football at age 7. "Anyone can play. If you're good enough to play, you can play it."  African Americans dominate the tailback position in the same manner whites did a half-century ago. Call Schutte a dreamer, but he feels he can become a backfield fixture one day for Cal, even as a starter.  "I definitely think I have the ability," he said. "I'll let the coaches make that decision, but I'll just continue to work hard and do my best. Right now, I need to work on my pass-blocking."

Read the entire article here.

 

 

 

No comments: