Monday, October 16, 2006

SF Chronicle: Washington State Coach: Watch Out, USC

Protection of QB was key

Rusty Simmons, Chronicle Staff Writer

None of Cal's offensive players claimed to have played well in Saturday's 21-3 victory over Washington State, but Cougars defensive end Mkristo Bruce had a starkly contrasting opinion.  "They kicked my butt on every aspect of the game," said Bruce, who entered the game leading the nation with 10 sacks. "They came out, and they hit me and hit me. Every play of the game, they hit me."  The Bears' offensive line didn't allow the sack artist to record any, and it limited Washington State, which led the nation with 27 sacks, to one.  Looking ahead, Part I: Washington State has played both Cal and USC, the two remaining undefeated teams in Pac-10 play.  Any predictions on the teams' Nov. 18 meeting in Los Angeles?

"Cal wins," Bruce said. "They're relentless. USC is a good football team. ... I think Cal is a more relentless football team. They're out there, and it's by any means necessary."  Washington State coach Bill Doba continued the praise of the Bears.  "I think we hit them as they are starting to peak," he said. "Watch out, watch out SC."

Read the entire article here.

No comments: