Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Oakland Tribune: Chapter 2 of Levy fairy tale comes Thursday

Cal QB makes second start vs. BYU in Las Vegas Bowl

By Dave Newhouse, STAFF WRITER 

LAS VEGAS — Steve Levy's story is straight out of fairy tale, where frogs turn into princes in magical kingdoms, imaginary places where impossible dreams do come true.  Levy's kingdom is Berkeley, where Mother Goose was seen wearing shoulder pads. One of the most fanciful, feel-good stories of the college football season involves Levy, the quarterback from Neverland. Never did anybody believe Levy would start at quarterback for Cal. And never did anybody believe it would be in a bowl game. Not after four years of filling out the depth chart, including at fullback a year ago. "It's kind of a cool story," Levy said Tuesday, understanding the magnitude of where his college career has taken him over the last month. "I thought I could do this the whole way."

Levy, a redshirt junior, will lead Cal against BYU in Thursday's Las Vegas Bowl. The Golden Bears (7-4, 4-4 Pac-10) are a seven-point pickover the Cougars (6-5, 5-3 Mountain West). Thus the oddsmakers aren't expecting the Bears to self-destruct behind Levy, who was an unnoticed third-stringer in September. Levy can see their point. He also doesn't expect to pull a Humpty Dumpty and break into little pieces over the huge responsibility that has been handed him. "I'm real excited to play this game," he said. "To be with all these guys another time, with all these seniors, and to get my second start in a bowl game is incredible. Not too many people have done that." Levy's first college start was Nov.19, when he directed Cal to a 27-3 victory at Stanford. And despite four years of relative inactivity, he made it look easy. "I'm here to show people that I'm not a one-hit wonder," he said on the UNLV practice field. "I'm ready to do this again, and for this to carry over for next season."

Levy feels that it has taken him seemingly forever to become a first-stringer, and he's not about to give it up. He seems more assured than ever in practice, and his passes have more zip. "It's all about confidence," he said. "My arm has gotten a little stronger and faster because of all the repetitions I've taken. I feel great, and I'm ready to play. I feel like I'm 18 years old again." Levy, from Cornwall, N.Y., led Don Bosco Prep to a New Jersey state championship. Then came four years of servitude at Cal before he replaced the struggling Joe Ayoob at quarterback before the Big Game. "I was a little overwhelmed before the Stanford game," he admitted, "but I feel a lot better now. It's kicked in that I'm the starting quarterback. I'm ready, and I can't wait for the game. We've got to put a tough statement out there for BYU. They're a tough football team, and it's going to be a great matchup." So a bowl game doesn't hold Levy in awe?

"Every game's a big game," he said. "I feel I can get in the huddle Thursday and be tremendously focused, to look the guys in the eyes and show them that I'm not going to do anything wrong. I'm going to lead the team down the field and make plays." Nerves? Levy isn't showing any. And Cal coach Jeff Tedford doesn't see the Las Vegas Bowl rattling Levy, since the Big Game didn't. "You know all the hoopla that's around the Big Game," Tedford said. "There's not a whole lot of difference in a bowl game. I have no doubt that he will handle this situation fine. His demeanor as a tough, competitive guy speaks for itself. He won't be intimidated." Well, St. George wasn't intimidated by that fire-breathing dragon. "I'm completely confident in Steve Levy," Cal wide receiver Robert Jordan said. "That dude, he's just been waiting for his chance. He's finally getting it, and he's coming through. "Before the season, nobody would have ever thought he would be playing. To see that dude being successful is good, and it shows that he is a competitor. You can feel his leadership, definitely. I'm expecting him to play good Thursday." Maybe this fairy tale will have a happy ending, which for Levy would mean a successful continuation into next fall.

 

No comments: