Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Calbears.com: Q&A with Linebacker Ryan Foltz

Grad student fifth in tackles for Cal

By Caitlin Johnston

BERKELEY, Calif. - A converted safety whose speed is ideal for defensive coordinator Bob Gregory's attacking defense, senior Ryan Foltz, who has already earned his bachelor's degree in business administration, was the Golden Bears' most experienced linebacker and a three-year letterman entering this season. Foltz has shined for Cal in his final campaign, as he is currently fifth on the team with 51 tackles, including 39 solo tackles and 3.5 tackles for losses (22 yards) entering the battle with BYU in the Pioneer PureVision Las Vegas Bowl.  

Johnston: As a grad student and an athlete, how do you balance school and athletics?  

Ryan Foltz: I try to have good time management. It is just really about concentrating on school when you are working on school, and when you are out at practice concentrating on practice. You just have to work hard and get things done.

Johnson: What qualities do you possess that make you such a talented linebacker?

Foltz: I think I play smart football and put myself in the right positions and situations in order to be successful.

Johnson: What are you goals for the team and yourself for the rest of the season?

Foltz: I think our goal for the team is to win these last two games. I think it is the toughest part of our season and we would be really excited to win these last couple of games. We are just going to take it a week at a time and see how it turns out.

Johnston: As the only returning starting linebacker, would you consider yourself a leader and role model for the new guys?

Foltz: Yeah, I just think that it is important to help these guys learn how to prepare week in and week out, and how to compete with our tough Pac-10 schedule. Also, I really try to keep everyone calm on the field when we get into hectic and tough situations.

Johnston: Do you have any special routines you do before the game to prepare yourself mentally?

Foltz: Before games I really just like to listen to my iPod and eat the same meal before every game. I just focus on my assignments and the opponent who we are playing that week.

Johnston: What are your plans after this season and after you complete grad school?

Foltz: Hopefully get a job. I am interviewing right now for a couple of different jobs and hopefully by the end of the season, or early next semester, I will have something worked out.

No comments: