Monday, November 14, 2005

Middletown NY Times Herald: Levy earns regards from Heisman dude

By Sal Interdonato
Steve Levy shook hands with USC players after Cal's 35-10 loss to the top-ranked Trojans Saturday in Berkeley, Calif. One Trojan sought Levy out after his 4-for-4 passing effort in relief against one of the best teams in college football history – Heisman Trophy winner Matt Leinart. "You did a great job," Levy said Leinart told him. "Hope you're starting next week." "He gave me some words of encouragement," Levy, a Cornwall resident, said last night. "That's amazing. He's won two national championships." But just as amazing was the standing-O that Levy received when he raced into Cal's huddle midway through the fourth quarter. He heard Cal fans cheering coach Jeff Tedford's decision to yank starting quarterback Joe Ayoob, who threw four interceptions. Levy quickly found his family and friends sitting in the USC section. He saw them and a sea of Trojan red rise to its feet. "That was the most amazing feeling of my life," Levy said. Levy didn't disappoint them, guiding Cal to its only touchdown drive with 1:36 left. The backup quarterback received a vote of confidence from the Cal fans and Leinart.
Now, Levy awaits Cal coach Jeff Tedford's take on who starts at Stanford Saturday. Levy said he was told a decision would be made today. "I trust the coaches' decision," said Levy, who threw for 34 yards. "If he chooses to start Joe, I'm behind the decision 100 percent. I'll be waiting in the wings ... I hope that I proved some people wrong (Saturday)." During the scoring drive, the 6-foot-1, 210-pound Levy scrambled 19 yards before being tripped up at the USC 1-yard line, just missing his first career college rushing touchdown. On the next play, Levy handed off to senior Chris Manderino, his best friend on the team, for the score. "Someone just grabbed me and my face went straight to the ground," Levy said. "I was a little woozy and couldn't believe I didn't score. I was mad but I was glad Chris scored, he's like a brother to me." Spoken like a true team player. But waiting in the wings hasn't been easy. Levy hadn't played quarterback since Cal's season opener against Sacramento State on Sept. 3. He completed two passes, one for a touchdown. "It's been very difficult all season," Levy said. "I've kept my head up and tried to think positive. Each week, I'm getting better and I think I've showed that to coach Tedford. Round two, I delivered. Hopefully, I'll get round three this week."

No comments: