Thursday, November 10, 2005

San Bernardino County Sun: USC notes: Cushing gets neck checked

By Scott Wolf, Staff Writer
USC linebacker Brian Cushing will undergo tests today to determine if he has a possible season-ending neck injury. Cushing injured his neck against Stanford and USC officials cautiously described it as a "sprain," but Cushing will undergo a bone scan today to determine if he has a possible stress fracture. "I hurt it in the game a little bit," Cushing said. "I took today off, but I should be all right. I just want to be careful." Cushing did not practice Wednesday. He already missed five games with a dislocated shoulder that will require surgery after the season. If the neck injury is serious, it will further deplete the Trojans at linebacker where several players are nursing injuries, including middle linebacker Oscar Lua (sprained knee), Thomas Williams (groin) and Collin Ashton (bruised shoulder).
USC did receive some positive injury news Wednesday when Keith Rivers (hamstring) got cleared by doctors and can start if he makes it through today's practice. Tight end Dominique Byrd also practiced and appears likely to play.
Maualuga returns: Linebacker Rey Maualuga returned to practice after spending Tuesday in Eureka to be with his father, who is hospitalized with cancer. "My dad has a tumor in his chest, and it's blocking the blood flow to his brain," Maualuga said. "His face is swollen and he can't really talk, but when I told him I was coming back, he said, 'Son, I'm going with you.' I just left before he could do something. "My father's my motivation. I'm using this toward football. I'm going to play for him. His dream was for me to come to USC." Maualuga practiced with the first-team defense because Lua is resting his knee, but Carroll said Maualuga won't start against California. If Lua is unable to play, Williams would switch to middle linebacker and either Cushing or Ashton could take that role. Defensive end Frostee Rucker did limited work because of back spasms.
NFL visit: USC coach Pete Carroll is scheduled to meet with NFL officials today, but before fans get too nervous, it won't be to talk about coaching a pro team. Carroll invited some officials to stop by a USC practice because he wants the league to support youth football programs in the inner city. "I'm trying to get them to help out," Carroll said. "They have a huge youth football program and they could really do something good here. They might stop by the office and I invited them to watch a practice." There was talk of NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue meeting with Carroll but Carroll said no one has informed him that Tagliabue would appear. Carroll laughed at suggestions he might discuss coaching a Los Angeles franchise with the league. He said several weeks ago he would remain at USC and had no interest in the NFL. "I've lasted five years," he joked. "You didn't think that would happen."

No comments: