Saturday, August 26, 2006

Contra Costa Times: Forsett not your average backup

RB COULD SEE MORE ACTION IN NEW SYSTEM

By Jay Heater

Although he is the backup to a Heisman Trophy candidate, Cal junior tailback Justin Forsett said he is going to have a larger role this season than he did in 2005 when he rushed for 999 yards. ``I think our offense is going to work out well,'' Forsett said. ``I am going to get lots of opportunities. You might see Marshawn (Lynch) and I in the backfield together.'' Cal Coach Jeff Tedford said one advantage of the spread offense is that it will allow him to get both Forsett and Lynch on the field at the same time. Forsett had 132 carries last season, but many of those came in the middle of the season when Lynch was nursing a broken finger.

With Lynch rolling in the final four games of the season, Forsett's role decreased. He gained a combined 132 yards in the final four games in 26 carries. ``I know I'm the backup,'' said Forsett, who rushed for 235 yards against New Mexico State last season and for 187 yards against Illinois. ``But I know that I will be out there.''

Read the entire story here.

 

No comments: