Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Longshore appears to be Cal's No.1 QB

By Dave Newhouse, STAFF WRITER
BERKELEY — The final form is taking shape in terms of Cal's starting lineup for the Sept.3 opener against Sacramento State, and Nate Longshore appears to have won the quarterback battle over Joe Ayoob.
Cal coach Jeff Tedford wouldn't confirm that, but he indicated after Tuesday's scrimmage at Memorial Stadium that Longshore is No.1.
"We still have a week and a half to go, so we'll see what happens," Tedford said. "But Nate came in ahead of Joe, and Nate is healthy." And so Longshore hasn't lost ground? "Right," Tedford said.
Ayoob has been hindered by a sore passing arm that prevented him from throwing Monday and Tuesday, an arm that is requiring treatment.
"We need to be more consistent there," Tedford said of Ayoob's passing so far. "'He's done a nice job with the mental part of the game, and his physical ability, at times, looks great. It's just a matter of his becoming real comfortable so that his passes will be accurate."
Longshore is a strong-armed 6-5, 225-poundredshirt freshman who would be seeing his first live action at Cal on Sept. 3.
"I'm getting accomplished what I wanted to get accomplished in camp, to get a better grasp and understanding of the offense and to be able to execute each play to precision," he said. "I'm not satisfied, but I'll take the progress that I've made."
He had the reputation of being a statue in the pocket. But working with Cal strength and conditioning coach John Krasinski, Longshore has developed "pocket presence," or escapability.
"Definitely," he agreed. "My foot quickness and stepping up in the pocket are better. If I'm the starter of the team, or Joe..." Would Longshore be comfortable as the starter? "Yeah." Does he feel ready to start? "Yeah."
Ayoob's injury was first described as an inflammation of the arm. He says that's inaccurate.
"The elbow's healthy," he said Tuesday. "My arm is tired. I've never had a period of consecutive days like we've had of throwing 200 balls a day. I just needed a little rest. I was planning on playing today, but the coaches said to take another day off."
Ayoob, a versatile 6-3, 220-pound junior transfer from City College of San Francisco, discussed his erratic throwing in fall camp. "Sometimes you throw the ball good, sometimes you don't," he said. "Then my arm started to get a little
sore, so I took some time off."
Longshore and Ayoob are expected to play Sept.3. Ayoob was asked if he's a quarterback who plays better on Saturday than on Tuesday or Wednesday.
"Yeah, exactly," he said. "Saturday is when I need it. I'm saving it up. I've been doing a lot of thinking about how I've been doing. And if Nate gets the start, I'm not going to get down on myself. I'm going to encourage him, and when my time comes, I'll be able to step in and do what I need to do."
Freshman DeSean Jackson and junior Lavelle Hawkins, a CCSF transfer, will open at wide receiver Sept. 3 while sophomore incumbent Robert Jordan serves a one-game suspension.
Sophomore Craig Stevens moves up at tight end. The offensive line remains intact as junior Erik Robertson has held his ground at left guard, though helped out by injuries to freshman Noris Malele, sophomore Brian De La Fuente and junior Bryan Deemer. Sophomore Marshawn Lynch and senior fullback Chris Manderino complete the backfield.
The defensive line starters will be sixth-year player Tosh Lupoi and junior Nu'u Tafisi, a Mt. San Antonio College import, at the ends, and sophomore Matthew Malele and junior Brandon Mebane at the tackles.
The linebackers will be senior Ryan Foltz, juniors Desmond Bishop from CCSF and Greg Van Hoesen, a former backup, and redshirt freshman Worrell Williams, currently injured, or true freshman Anthony Felder.
"It's going to be by committee," Tedford said of the linebackers, then adding the names of junior Mickey Pimental, a JC transfer from Arizona, and true freshman Zack Follett.
Juniors Tim Mixon and Daymeion Hughes are the cornerbacks, and seniors Donnie McCleskey and Harrison Smith the safeties.
However, if sophomore Thomas DeCoud plays safety, Smith could move back to his natural corner position, where one preseason publication lists him as the 10th-best corner in the country. Senior David Lonie will be the punter and kickoff man, and sophomore Tom Schneider will kick field goals and PATs.

No comments: