Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Browner commits to Tedford and Cal

Defensive end from L.A.'s Dorsey High is son, nephew of ex-NFL players
The Argus
By Dave Newhouse, STAFF WRITER
Cal's football team scored a big victory Monday night without suiting up when promising prep prospect Keith Browner committed to the Bears.
Browner is a 6-5, 225-pound defensive end at Dorsey High in Los Angeles and the son of onetime NFL linebacker Keith Browner Sr. The younger Browner's commitment was verbal. The official letter-of-intent signing date isn't until next winter.
"I've been thinking about Cal for a while now," Browner told Rivals100.com, "and my plan all along was to commit early, so I didn't have to deal with recruiting during the school season. I loved Cal from the beginning, and after taking this visit last weekend, I knew it was the place for me."
Browner is a dominant pass-rusher. As a junior, he had 48 tackles, 14 sacks, two forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries and was named all-city. He has sub-4.6 speed and a 38-inch vertical leap. His uncle is former NFL defensive back Joey Browner. Three other uncles played Division I-A football.
"I always felt so comfortable there," he said of Cal, "and the coaches really made me feel like part of the team. It's just a good fit for me, and I think I'll be able to be very successful. I like Ken Delgado, the defensive line coach there, a lot and I really think he's the kind of guy that can help me get the most out of my ability. I also really like coach Tedford a lot, and he has the program going in a positive direction right now."
BEAR TRACKS: Junior David Gray, who scored the first touchdown of the Tedford era in 2002 and hasn't scored since, has been moved from wide receiver to tight end. ... Sophomore Thomas DeCoud, a projected starter at safety, has a hyperextended knee and is out indefinitely.

No comments: