Friday, November 17, 2006

LA Daily News: USC football notes: Barrett probably out because of calf injury

BY SCOTT WOLF, Staff Writer
USC defensive tackle Chris Barrett said he did not think he would play against California on Saturday because of a strained calf. "I think it's very doubtful," Barrett said. Barrett has had a history of calf problems and strained both last season. If he doesn't play, Fili Moala would start. Meanwhile, tailback Chauncey Washington (sprained knee) was limited in Thursday's practice but still expects to play. Washington will receive a new knee brace today because he could raise his knee enough with the current brace. "I'm going to try to do whatever I can," Washington said. "I'd rather hobble around with a brace and play. I ran (43 yards) against Oregon with the brace, so I know I can do it." Washington said the swelling has gone down "tremendously" in his knee since earlier in the week. USC coach Pete Carroll said there was still a bit of an "unknown" regarding Washington's status.
Havili redshirts: Carroll said he would redshirt fullback Stanley Havili (broken leg), who was not cleared for the game. Havili said he could practice next week and would prefer not to redshirt. "It's pretty obvious that we would hold him out," Carroll said.
Matthews honored: Sophomore linebacker Clay Matthews (Agoura High) was the only player named to the Pacific-10 Conference All-Academic team. He was a second-team selection. USC was the only school that did not have a player make honorable mention. "When Clay Matthews can be an All-American, that's something," Matthews joked. "I'll take it though." A student-athlete must have a minimum 3.0 overall grade-point average and be either a starter or significant substitute.
No nerves: Quarterback John David Booty said he would not be nervous for the game that decides which team wins the Pac-10 title. "I try not to get too worked up," he said. "It's just football. It's something I enjoy doing. Obviously it's a big game and there is a lot riding on it. But I'll enjoy it." Distant memory: Wide receiver Steve Smith said he spoke to USC compliance officials about his recruiting dinner four years ago to Papadakis Taverna restaurant in San Pedro. "I really don't remember much about it," Smith said. "I barely remember anything." Compliance officials are reviewing the dinners and also contacts between the football program and walk-on players for possible violations. Punter Greg Woidneck, who is a walk-on, said he was interviewed but did think any illegal contacts took place.

No comments: