Monday, October 06, 2008

Contra Costa Times: Longshore will 'probably' remain starter

Jonathan Okanes

BERKELEY -- Cal coach Jeff Tedford has made a point to credit quarterback Nate Longshore for keeping his head in the game even after he lost his starting job to Kevin Riley. It was apparent that maintained focus paid off once he returned to the lineup Saturday. Tedford benched Riley in favor of Longshore against Arizona State, and the fifth-year senior responded by completing 17 of 28 passes for 198 yards and three touchdowns with one interception.  After the game, Tedford said Longshore would "probably" remain the starter in the Bears' next game against Arizona on Oct. 18. "His teammates really respect him because even if he's not in the huddle, he's always helping and motivating the young guys and really being the true leader that he is," Tedford said. "He's always had a team-above-self attitude." Tedford opened the quarterback battle back up last week after Riley had been inconsistent through the first four games. He said the move to start Longshore was done in an effort to get off to a quicker start.

The Bears did that, scoring a field goal and touchdown on their first two drives and taking a 17-0 lead early in the second quarter.  "Obviously, it feels great to be in there contributing and helping us out," Longshore said. "Everybody wants to contribute.  "Nobody wants to just watch. I really care for my teammates and everything we've been through together. For me to bring them down because of my personal situation would be silly. Any way I can help my teammates out, I try to." Cal's players seemed happy for Longshore's return, especially receiver Nyan Boateng. "I'm so happy for Nate," Boateng said. "I've learned a lot from Nate. I was a little bit upset (not starting), but just talking to Nate and watching him, I said to myself that I have to come in and work hard and prepare the same way.  "Nate is a great team guy. Guys are very happy for him."

POLLS: Cal moved into the USA Today Poll at No. 25 after beating Arizona State.

No comments: