Friday, September 29, 2006

Oregonian: Forsett becoming a threat on several fronts

KEN GOE

The best one-on-one, open-field tackle in California's victory over Arizona State last week came when Cal's Justin Forsett planted Terry Richardson, ASU's dangerous return man, at the Sun Devils' 24-yard line while covering a kickoff.  "I played a little linebacker in high school," Forsett said with a smile. "I'm used to tackling."   Last year, Forsett rushed for 999 yards while spelling Marshawn Lynch at tailback. He put up 235 yards on New Mexico State, 187 on Illinois and 153 against UCLA.  Those are marquee numbers, which in many programs would exempt Forsett from special teams. But the 5-foot-8, 186-pound junior starts on the Bears' kickoff and punt return units.   "I know my role," Forsett said. "I give Marshawn a reliever now and again, and I have a chance to get on the field on special teams. I take pride in my role, and I get to do a lot of things. It's fun."

Read the entire article here.

No comments: