Wednesday, November 09, 2005

San Bernardino Times: Chino's McFoy still searching for first touchdown with Trojans

LOS ANGELES - Chris McFoy has caught 39 balls for USC's Trojans, played in 30 games, started 10 times . . .And scored zero touchdowns.  Don't think he hasn't noticed. "It haunts me," he conceded. As well it might, considering USC's offense has been one big parade to the end zone during McFoy's three seasons on the Trojans roster.  Fifty-nine touchdowns in 2003. Sixty-four touchdowns in 2004.  Sixty-two touchdowns already in 2005. That's 185 Trojans in the end zone since McFoy has been suiting up for USC -- and no TDs by a guy who has been among the team's top three receivers most of that time. McFoy, an end-zone habitue while at Chino High School, seems equal parts accursed, annoyed and mortified by his end-zone drought. Which has become a topic of discussion (and teasing) within the USC locker room. Said McFoy: "Every now and again, somebody asks me, 'Like, when are you getting in the zone?' I'm, like, 'You know, hey, I'm sorry. I'm trying to maximize every opportunity I get.' " McFoy came close to scoring in USC's 51-21 victory over Stanford on Saturday. He ran a deep crossing pattern, in the fourth quarter, and backup quarterback John David Booty delivered the ball . . .

But the throw was short. McFoy had to slow and wait for the ball. He immediately was tackled. A potential 38-yard TD catch went into history as a 16-yard reception to the 22. "Ah, man," he said, remembering the play. "Right when they said 'Hike!' I was going, 'There's nobody there, and I'm getting in the zone! I'm getting in the zone!' "But (Booty) was getting pressure, so he had to throw and I had to go low for it." McFoy popped up after the catch and hurled the ball to the turf in apparent frustration. Perhaps mystifying any spectator who didn't know about his touchdown drought. Said McFoy: "I was, like, 'My (TD) was right there.' " USC quarterback Matt Leinart is well aware McFoy hasn't scored a touchdown since high school. "I try to get him into the end zone every week," he said of McFoy. "He's made some big catches for us. I’ve got a feeling he’ll score a few this weekend.”

Some of this is no accident. Some of it is how USC coaches use McFoy. USC has several deep threats, and McFoy has never been one of them. It was Mike Williams and Keary Colbert in 2003, Dwayne Jarrett and Steve Smith the past two years. And now freshman Patrick Turner is in the mix, too. McFoy, whose hands are more impressive than his speed, primarily is used on short-yardage routes. And as a blocker. Neither of which is conducive for going to "the house." Also, he rarely is in the game when the Trojans are close to the end zone. When a reporter noted this to McFoy, he arched the eyebrows of his expressive face and let out a sigh. "I just play here," he finally said. USC coaches aren't exactly fretting over McFoy's TD shutout. "We don't worry about a guy's stats and a guy's numbers and whether they've scored or not," offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin said Tuesday. "It's a little bit unfortunate luck on his part. A lot of times, as the third receiver, you don't get the red-zone routes, and when Reggie (Bush) is on your team, too . . ." Still, fullbacks Brandon Hancock and David Kirtman have scored. Backup tight end Fred Davis has scored. Fourth-string tailback Michael Coleman has scored. So has third-string tight end Jimmy Miller. Twice.

Tackle Winston Justice has a TD. So does safety Darnell Bing. McFoy's closest call was last season, when he seemed more a part of the offense than he does now. "One-yard line, Colorado State game," he said, wincing. "I thought I was in the zone. I caught the ball, and right when I caught it their safety hit me. I jumped up like I got in the zone, but it was on the 1. I was very disappointed in myself. "Actually, I try not to remember it." McFoy is a redshirt junior. He says he will get his degree before next season, when he would be eligible for one more year of football. But he isn't sure he will play. Perhaps the frustration of 10-yard catches between the 20s is getting to him. In the feast that is Troy's offense, McFoy is the guy locked outside with his face pressed against the window. In the orgy of touchdowns that is USC, McFoy is an unwilling abstainer. Receivers are supposed to score, aren't they? At least once in their career? When the quarterback is a Heisman Trophy winner? "I came here and went from the dude who scores all the time to, like, not even getting that limelight," he said. "You know what I'm saying? That just makes you want to work harder. Just hope for the best. Do whatever you can for the team." But, the bottom line: "It's also kinda humbling." What will he do if/when he gets to the end zone? "Ummm, I don't even know," he said. "I'll be very excited, I'll tell you that. I'll be very excited."

 

 

No comments: