Thursday, September 14, 2006

Contra Costa Times: Vikings' D-line poses test for Cal

BERKELEY -- Portland State might be a Division I-AA team, but it has a Division I-A defensive tackle. C.J. Niusulu, who played three seasons at UCLA and was a starter his final season there in 2004, has been a big reason the Vikings haven't allowed a touchdown in two games. Cal senior offensive guard Erik Robertson said he is familiar with Niusulu, whose presence inside has stopped opponents from running up the middle. The 6-foot-2, 300-pounder showed that ability over 12 games in 2004 as he finished with 24 tackles. Portland State has allowed just 69.5 rushing yards a game. "C.J. went to Barstow High School, which used to be in our league," said Robertson, who attended Apple Valley. "My sophomore year of high school, Barstow changed leagues, but I still saw him play. He is very good. "He was both a defensive tackle and a running back. I also remember talking to him a lot about football one time because he went to my prom." Niusulu has plenty of capable company on the defensive line. Senior tackle Matthis Gehring was a preseason All-Big Sky selection and another 300-pounder. Junior tackle David Howell is a 310-pounder who rotates into the lineup.

"Our defensive line probably is the strength of our team," said Portland State Tim Walsh. "We have excellent size and strength, and in our league, those guys will be difficult to block." Robertson said he welcomes a substantial challenge. "When I heard we were going to play Portland State, the first thing I thought is that it would be a repeat of Sacramento State," Robertson said. "I thought, 'We should win.' But Portland State has a very good defensive line and that's good. It wakes people up." Whether being awake is enough remains to be seen. Cal might have to shuffle its offensive line due to a sprained ankle suffered by left tackle Andrew Cameron. Sophomore tackle Mike Tepper could be making his first start. Tepper played in the fourth quarter against Minnesota after Cameron injured his ankle. "He looked pretty good," Robertson said. "He didn't make any mental mistakes. On one play -- a 25 power to the left -- he washed a guy right down the line and buried him on my back. I felt like I got hit by a truck. He didn't even know what he had done to me, but that's OK, because at least I knew he came off the ball hard."

Feeling good

Bears quarterback Nate Longshore, who looked rather nervous against Tennessee, said he felt very comfortable sitting in the pocket against Minnesota. "The offensive line did a great job," he said. "I threw the ball at times even though no one was five yards from me. You have that mental clock that says you have to throw the ball even if you have all day." Longshore said he still has some butterflies to shake off. He underthrew about three balls and had another sail 10 yards over his receiver's head. "I was kind of aiming it a little," he said. He said his best feeling against Minnesota was not any of his four touchdown passes but rather an eight-minute, fourth-quarter touchdown drive. "Minnesota had nine guys in the box and we ran the same (running) play against them six times in a row. They knew it was coming and they couldn't stop it."

Extra points

Longshore was asked if he might get a tattoo since one of his blockers, Robertson, has 19. "My mom would have my head," Longshore said. "It's just not for me. I remember seeing Erik the first day I got here. I thought he was going to beat me up." ... Cal's game on Sept. 23 against Arizona State will begin at 12:30 p.m. at Memorial Stadium. The game will be televised by Fox Sports Net.

 

No comments: