Monday, August 29, 2005

Freshman Longshore will open season as starting QB

BY JAY HEATER
Knight Ridder Newspapers
BERKELEY, Calif. - (KRT) - Cal coach Jeff Tedford made official on Monday what had become apparent in practice, that freshman quarterback Nate Longshore would be his starting quarterback when the season begins Saturday against visiting Sacramento State.
"He's shown a very good grasp of the offense," Tedford said. "He has a high level of confidence and he has done a good job of putting us in a position to be successful."
Longshore beat out Joe Ayoob, a transfer from City College of San Francisco who was considered the top junior college quarterback in the nation last year. "Joe needs to be more consistent throwing the ball," Tedford said.
Ayoob said he agreed with Tedford's assessment. "I know I haven't thrown that well in practice," Ayoob said. "I'm a little disappointed. But this isn't about Nate or about me. It's about what is best for the team. This is what I have to do to be a good teammate. I will play my role on the sideline and keep learning.
"I've been in this situation before. I didn't start until the sixth game of my freshman season at City College. If I do get an opportunity, I will run with it."
Running appeared to separate the speedy Ayoob from Longshore, who came to Cal rather slow of foot. "This is all a tribute to Nate's hard work," Tedford said. "His foot quickness has improved by leaps and bounds. He cut his weight, worked with (strength) coach (John) Krasinski and you can see the difference."
Longshore, who redshirted last season, said that Tedford made him aware when he arrived at Cal that he needed to be quicker. "I realized that was one of my weaknesses," Longshore said.
Having some ability to escape in the pocket was important to Tedford, who now wants to see how Longshore reacts in a game. "I can't wait," Longshore said. "It has been a long offseason."
Helping Longshore will be a veteran offensive line that returns four starters in 2004. "If I am stuttering in the huddle, they know my position almost better than I do," Longshore said. "That's kind of interesting."
Longshore said he wasn't disappointed when Cal signed a junior college quarterback who seemed destined to take over for Aaron Rodgers. "I was actually excited when we signed Joe," Longshore said. "It showed the direction this program is doing. We are building depth at every position. If he was better, I couldn't control that. But I think we both improved at faster rates than we would have. And it wasn't a pressure between us. It was more pressure because the team needed us."
JACKSON WILL START
True freshman wide receiver DeSean Jackson will start in Cal's opener. Tedford was asked if any other player had started his first game as a true freshman during Tedford's previous three seasons. "David Gray," Tedford said.
Gray, who began his career as a wide receiver, was part of a trick play in Tedford's first game at Cal, a 70-22 win over Baylor. Gray lined up at tight end and caught a tailback pass from Terrell Williams for a 71-yard touchdown. However, that was Gray's only start that season.
EXTRA POINTS
Tedford won't play freshman tight end Cameron Morrah and freshman defensive back Syd Thompson as he evaluates whether or not to redshirt them. However, if they pick up the system over the first few games, then they could get on the field this season. "They will go to the meetings, be involved with the game plan," Tedford said.Sophomore tailback Justin Forsett will handle kickoff return duties in the opener.De La Salle grad Andy Briner, a sophomore linebacker, has left the program. Briner had a groin injury that would have kept him out of the lineup this season.

No comments: