Sunday, August 14, 2005

Ayoob off target, but Tedford is not worrying, yet

By Jay Heater
CONTRA COSTA TIMES
BERKELEY - Cal quarterback Joe Ayoob released a pass during a practice this week that drew a universal response from the small group of fans on hand at Memorial Stadium. Ewwwww.
Wounded ducks take straighter paths to their target and flop over less times. Considering that Ayoob, a junior college All-American, is battling for the starting job with redshirt freshman Nate Longshore, it's only natural that a little hand-wringing has been taking place in the stands.
Last year's starter, Aaron Rodgers, now plays for the Green Bay Packers, and it's a different look in practice without the super accurate Rodgers running the show.
Even so, the fans know that Cal coach Jeff Tedford is an offensive wizard who has imported some striking talents at wide receiver, including consensus high school All-American DeSean Jackson and junior college transfer Lavelle Hawkins. He has a veteran offensive line and a Heisman Trophy contender at tailback in Marshawn Lynch. But somebody has to get them the ball.
So far, Longshore appears to have taken the lead in the quarterback battle as Ayoob struggles to find his targets.
Tedford, though, bristles a bit when asked if Ayoob is struggling.
"Joe is doing a lot of really good things," Tedford said. "He is hit-and-miss right now throwing the ball, but you wouldn't believe his retention of the things that he learned during spring camp. And we've only been practicing a few days. I'm not worried about his passing, that is going to come."
Ayoob echoes his coach's assessment. "I have confidence throwing the ball," he said. "I am getting the mental things down right now. I come to the line and I understand what's happening out there. But I still have a lot to do. We have a lot of new receivers and our timing is going to be a little off. We just haven't run many routes together."
A 61.3 percent passer last season at City College of San Francisco, Ayoob apparently has the accuracy to hit his receivers if they are on the same page.
"Right now, I care more that I have made the proper reads," he said. "I know I have thrown some balls that have gotten away. But the accuracy will take care of itself. I'm pretty sure the coaches know I can do it. Myself, I know that I am 1,000 times more comfortable than I was in the spring.
"In the spring, I would have given myself a D-minus. My first day of camp (this summer) was my 21st birthday and I didn't have a very good day. But the next days were better. I would give myself a B-minus to a B."
Tedford knows that Ayoob will grade himself hard, but he also has been impressed that his new quarterback doesn't show any frustration when things don't go quite right.
"I've never seen him get down and take it into the next play," Tedford said.
Ayoob said he has been frustrated at times, but he keeps his feelings under wraps. "I just don't show it," he said.
But he is aware that even though the coaches understand he is taking a crash course in Tedford's offense, a competition is taking place as well.
"That's in the back of my mind," he said. "Sometimes I do compare how I am throwing (with Longshore). But I have confidence in myself."
He said he can tell that Tedford has confidence in him as well. "He lets us know when we have done something well," Ayoob said. "And he also lets us know when we have done something wrong. I like that. I think he keeps both of us well grounded."
For those who still worry about Ayoob's ability, they might consider his 7-of-9 performance in the spring game. "When you get into a game situation, you just play ... let it all hang out. I think that's when you are at your best. I can't wait to play against Sacramento State."
Note: Cal freshman Tyson Alualu, a 6-foot-2, 270-pound defensive tackle from St. Louis High School in Honolulu, has returned home due to "personal reasons." He will enroll at Cal in January and will have five seasons to play four beginning next fall.

No comments: