Monday, September 21, 2009

Oakland Tribune: Surgery doesn't cast pall over Boateng

For those waiting for Cal senior Nyan Boateng to finally emerge as a big-play receiver, the wait just got a little bit longer. Boateng will miss four to six weeks after fracturing his right foot during Saturday's 35-21 at Minnesota. He had surgery Monday.  Big things were expected of Boateng when the former high school All-American transferred from Florida to Cal. Though he led the Bears with 29 catches last season, he hasn't become the playmaker many thought he could be. He has five catches for 78 yards and a touchdown this season.

"It's just a minor setback," he said. "It's not the end of the world. It's not the end of the season for me. I just have to stay positive, be emotionally involved with these guys and try to help them any way I can."  Boateng said he suffered the injury attempting to block during a Jahvid Best run in the second quarter. He played the rest of the first half and caught his only two passes for 30 yards. He had to shut it down after X-rays at halftime revealed the fracture.  "I thought I just got stepped on," he said. "But it was hurting really bad, so I knew something happened to it. I thought it was just going to be a bad bruise and I'd be able to play through it."

Link to rest of article.

 

No comments: