Monday, October 27, 2008

Santa Rosa Press Democrat: Cal's Ezeff had a reason to talk, and smile

By Lowell Cohn

I asked Cal coach Jeff Tedford what safety Marcus Ezeff is like. I asked because Ezeff was one of Cal’s stars in the 41-20 blowout of UCLA, and I never met Ezeff even though he went to Montgomery High School.

“He’s very quiet,” Tedford said, “very reserved, a tough player.” And then Tedford added, “Good luck with your interview because he doesn’t talk very much.” Thanks for the encouragement, Coach.  Let me back up. Ezeff made two enormous plays when Saturday’s game was still a game. He intercepted Bruin quarterback Kevin Craft on the very first play from scrimmage, a good sign for Cal, not so good for UCLA.  According to the postgame notes, that was Ezeff’s first collegiate pick. Craft eventually threw four picks, which did a lot to bury the Bruins. That was UCLA’s problem and this is a Cal article. Ezeff’s big play came in the second quarter — call it his deluxe whopper play. The score was 10-7 Cal in a close, not-so-well-played game up to that point and Craft dropped back to pass and, naturally, he threw it to a Cal receiver. You got it — Ezeff.

He caught the ball at the Cal 31 and returned it 69 yards for the touchdown, his first-ever TD in college. The TD stretched out the Bears’ lead and gave a good indication of what was in store for the Bruins. It was the longest Bears’ interception return for a TD since Nnamdi Asomugha did it for 85 yards against Arizona State in 2002. So, Ezeff is in pretty good company.   When the game was over, the tough part came. For me. I needed to interview Ezeff, and Tedford had given me that ominous warning. Ezeff walked into the interview room from the locker room and looked around.  The public relations staff directed him to a seat and he smiled and waited. I asked him about the interception that led to the TD, asked what he saw as the ball came to him. “I just saw a lot of field,” he said. “I just wanted to make a play. I think we were only up by three at that time, and I just wanted to give the team a boost. I went from there.”

Actually, he went pretty far, but he wasn’t bragging. He’s one of those guys who plays down his achievements, sort of a young Tedford, if you know what I mean. Did the ball come right to him? “Yeah, it came to me on a deflection. I have to credit coach Tedford and the coaching staff because that’s something we work on every pre-practice. The turnover drills we’re working on in practice are starting to pay off.”

When he was running downfield for the touchdown, what was he thinking? Ezeff stared at me like I’d spoken a foreign language. What I asked was definitely NOT a football question, but he tried to answer anyway.

“Ugh. It’s not like I’ve never been there before. Probably the last time I’ve been there was high school. It’s all good, but beyond that there’s a lot of things I did wrong (in the game). That’s really what I want to correct as of now. But it’s great to have the two interceptions, but at the same time that’s something I expect of myself. I really just want to go back into the film room and work on those basics.” He was being hard on himself. I asked if he wants to feel bad after this game. I mean, he had a great game — he could give himself a break. He smiled a small smile but didn’t change his tune. “Sundays you come in and you see a lot of things you could have done better. That’s what really gets to me more than the big plays I made.”

I guess a terrific athlete has to have that attitude, but you’ll agree Ezeff was allowed to celebrate for maybe half an hour.  I mentioned Tedford said he doesn’t talk much. “I’m just a quiet guy, I’ve always been. I was raised it’s OK to be a superstar but be humble. I’ve just never been that much of a talker. I lead by example, just doing the right thing.” Is he quiet around his teammates? “My best friend on the team is Zack Follett. We’re not always quiet.” How often does he go back to Santa Rosa?

“I have a busy schedule here. I try and get back as much as I can to see friends and family. I just played one of my friends today, (Bruin running back) Khalil Bell. Khalil went to Montgomery High School his freshman and sophomore year.” I was done and thanked Ezeff. I thought that was a good interview. I appreciated Ezeff for taking time with me, for trying hard and being sincere. Afterward, I went back to Tedford and told him, “Ezeff was a good interview.” “Maybe he just won’t talk to me,” he said.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marcus Ezeff will forever be known by Cal football fans as the Bear who delivered "The Hit" in 2007 against Oregon receiver Cameron Colvin. Ezeff's hit against Colvin was so devastating that Colvin went flying out of bounds and caused him to fumble the ball about six inches from breaking the plane of the endzone. The ball bounced into the endzone and then out the side of the endzone. Ezeff's hit resulted in a touchback and possession for Cal. Ezeff's smashmouth play ensured a victory for Cal as we reached the highwater mark of 5-0 for the 2007 campaign. Thank you Marcus Ezeff for your tremendous play and all you do for Cal football and its fans.