Wednesday, December 06, 2006

San Atonio Express News: Ags' defense historically shoulders above rest in Holiday Bowl

Brent Zwerneman

COLLEGE STATION – California quarterback Nate Longshore must be looking over both shoulders at what Texas A&M has done to opposing quarterbacks this season. The Aggies' Wrecking Crew defense – and, yes, any gang that holds Texas to a touchdown in Austin deserves to be called the Wrecking Crew – knocked Oklahoma State's Bobby Reid, Baylor's Shawn Bell and UT's Colt McCoy out of games.  As everyone and his mom (and her mom) knows by now, McCoy left on a stretcher.  And by Dec. 28, when A&M and Cal meet in the Holiday Bowl, Longshore certainly will have received a history lesson about what happened to the last opposing quarterback against the Aggies in the Holiday.  In 1990, the Wrecking Crew, courtesy of linebackers William Thomas and Anthony Williams, separated not one but two of Heisman Trophy-winning BYU quarterback Ty Detmer's shoulders in the Aggies' 65-14 victory.  "As soon as I went down (the first time), I knew I was in trouble," Detmer said afterward. "I felt a popping, but it was the left shoulder so I knew I could throw. Then they got my right shoulder."  Of course, at 6-foot-5 and 233 pounds, Longshore is a bit more stout than the 6-1 Detmer, who tipped the scales at 175 pounds at the time of his demolishing.

 

No comments: