Friday, June 12, 2009

SF Examiner: Top 10 most valuable Bears in 2009 - No. 7

By Rob Calonge

As we continue our list, we have already selected one special teams player, one offensive player, and one defensive player.  Since nearly every coach talks about 'all three phases' of the game, I think that this top-10 list is going pretty well...at least, so far.  As I've been doing every step of the way, I'll recap for those who may have missed it.  Bryan Anger and his big leg started the list off at No. 10.  After that, I cheated a little and chose Marvin Jones or the receiver that lines up opposite the possession receiver - Nyan Boateng or Jeremy Ross - as the No. 9 MVB (Most Valuable Bear).  My latest selection was defensive star Tyson Alualu at No. 8.

So who, or more importantly, what position should be the focus of MVB No. 7?  Do I take a step towards the offense and place the focus on scoring touchdowns, or should I think more defensively, and about the players who's job it is to prevent those touchdowns? I'm sure that either of those solutions would be more popular than the one I came up with, but daggone it, I just can't see how my following pick shouldn't be in the discussion.  That's right, four picks in and I'm selecting my second special teams player.

I selected No. 7 as a toss-up between either Giorgio Tavecchio or David Seawright; yes, kickers.  I'm also cheating again.  Like with Cal's speed receiver, I'm uncertain about who will be starting when the season begins, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't either of these two guys.

Link to rest of article.

No comments: