Monday, June 01, 2009

SF Examiner: Keeping up with the rookies

By Rob Calonge

Being away from this space for the last few days has given me an appreciation for all things Cal.  While I've been gone, there hasn't been a whole lot going on in the world of Cal football.  The Solano County Library is doing something to preserve a little bit of Solano County / California history.  It's all part of their California of the Past program where they've set up a 'digital storytelling' station for locals to record a piece of their history.

Vacaville's The Reporter has a transcript of Cal's Bill Powell discussing his 1951 record-setting touchdown run from scrimmage - a 98-yard romp.  Here's part of it: 

“As the quarterback handed the ball to me, the Cal guard crossed over to block Oregon's tackle and Cal's tackle blocked Oregon's guard -- that's the cross block -- one player right, one left. I went in between the two Cal blockers and started up the field angling out toward the right sideline. My teammates gave me great blocking. I had nothing to do but hold on to that ball and run.” - Bill Powell

Getting up to date with more current former players is a little easier, albiet maybe not as interesting as Bill Powell telling his tale.

Link to rest of article.

No comments: