Wednesday, June 10, 2009

SF Examiner: Top 10 most valuable Bears in 2009 - No. 9

By Rob Calonge

In case you missed it, yesterday I began my list of top 10 most valuable Cal Bears for the 2009 football season.  For those of you with a short attention span, number 10 is Bryan Anger.  My next selection is an odd one, even by my very obtuse standards of judgement.  I had a difficult time deciding this spot, which goes to show that I am uncertain of my final choice.  Here's some of the criteria that brought me to the decision that I will reveal momentarily. First, which position is critical enough, but not that necessary to select for the ninth most important player?  Do I select someone from the well-stocked Cal secondary?  What about picking a guy from the offensive or defensive lines?  in this fairly new 3-4 alignment, it's well known how important linebackers are - do I select one of them?

The answer to that question, at least for me, is the position of wide receiver.  I chose that spot because of what the Bears were able to accomplish last year without a standout catching balls - one who lined up closer to the sidelines than the quarterback.

Read the rest of the article here.

No comments: