Sunday, August 24, 2008

SF Chronicle: Wide receiver Boateng disappointed in reserve role

Link.

By Rusty Simmons

Nyan Boateng, probably Cal's most physically talented receiver, has been relegated to a reserve role, and he's not happy about it.  "It hurts; it hurts a lot," Boateng said. "I can't just pack my stuff and leave."  By most reports, Boateng has been a model citizen since he was reinstated to the team before spring drills. Still, Michael Calvin, LaReylle Cunningham and Sean Young are ahead of Boateng on the depth chart.  "They didn't tell me the real reason why I'm not going to be in the starting lineup," Boateng said. "I'm assuming it has to do with trust and stuff like that."  Boateng, who was one of the nation's top two-sport (basketball/football) athletes out of Brooklyn, N.Y., played as a freshman at the University of Florida. He ran into legal trouble there. After transferring to Cal, another criminal charge was filed in Florida, leading to his suspension. But that charge was dropped.

Longshore speaks: Senior quarterback Nate Longshore on Saturday spoke publicly for the first time since it was announced that he had lost his starting job to sophomore Kevin Riley. "Nothing has changed the fact that we're trying to go out there and win games, no matter who plays or who takes the first reps or whatever," Longshore said. Cal coach Jeff Tedford said Longshore will play at some point during the season opener and the competition will be continuous. At this time last season, Longshore was listed as the top NFL prospect among junior quarterbacks by ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. "I know my life is going to be a success, and I'll be happy no matter what I do," Longshore said. "My life will be perfectly fine, with or without football."

No comments: