Wednesday, September 21, 2005

SJ Mercury: Concussions slow two Cal linemen

By Jay Heater

Mercury News

In the brutal world of college football, where remedies exist for just about any ailment, the players often are willing to do anything to get on the field. But Cal's Andrew Cameron and Aaron Merz, key and durable components on one of the nation's top offensive lines, are finding that no quick fix can be found for a concussion. ``There is no pill you can take,'' said Merz, who started 18 consecutive games before missing the opening snap Saturday against Illinois because of a concussion suffered against Washington. ``My mom tells me that you don't mess with your head or your spine. You can't get those back.'' Cameron, who started the previous 14 games before suffering a concussion against the Huskies, has heard the same advice. ``If my brain goes on me, that's a big deal,'' he said. It's also a big deal for Cal that neither is likely to play against New Mexico State on Friday in Las Cruces, N.M.

Coach Jeff Tedford will continue to hold both out until they get a clean bill of health from the team's medical staff. ``It's definitely something you don't want to take a chance with,'' Tedford said. ``It could be two weeks or three weeks. It's not like something you can tape up.''

Delayed diagnosis

Cameron didn't even know he had suffered a concussion until last Wednesday's practice. ``I was having difficulty remembering the plays from the huddle to the line of scrimmage,'' Cameron said. ``I didn't know if it was a run or a pass.''

Even so, Cameron kept playing for a while. ``As an offensive lineman, you had better be darned sure you are messed up to come off the field,'' he said. He was messed up. ``My memory was slipping,'' Cameron said. ``Hey, I'm 22.''

So Cameron alerted the medical staff and sat out. ``I was slowing down,'' he said. ``I was confused. In our meetings, I was paying attention, but nothing was registering.'' Cameron and Merz were given what's known as an impact test. ``You take it as a freshman,'' Cameron said. ``You get a base score. The way the test is put together, you should always do better because it never changes. So if you are doing worse, it's a sign that you have a head injury.''

Different reactions

Merz has experience with concussions, so he recognized the symptoms immediately. ``It was my first one,'' Cameron said. ``You are always banging heads, so it's hard to gauge.'' Cameron appears to be coming out of the fog sooner than Merz. ``I feel much better,'' Cameron said. ``My mind is clearing up. Now it's a matter of how soon I can come back.'' Merz continues to struggle. ``I'm sure I will be fine,'' he said. ``I will wake up one day and it will be gone.''

Offensive-line coach Jim Michalczik said backups Scott Smith and Bryan Deemer are performing fine, and wants Merz and Cameron to concentrate on getting well. ``I won't put our players in harm's way,'' Michalczik said.

• Defensive end Tosh Lupoi (sprained knee) won't play against the Aggies, and linebacker Greg Van Hoesen (ankle) is questionable.

• After missing the Illinois game, tailback Marshawn Lynch (broken left hand) has been cleared to take part in drills. ``The pain has subsided in his hand,'' Tedford said.

No comments: