Friday, October 14, 2005

Pantagraph.com: Speedy BHS grad Hughes joins starting lineup for Oregon State

By Randy Kindred

Brandon Hughes' football reputation has been built around speed, the kind which enabled him to average 30 yards per catch as a star receiver at Bloomington High School. Those same quick feet have helped him find the fastest route onto the field at Oregon State. Recruited by the Beavers as a receiver, Hughes agreed early this past spring to move to cornerback, a position he also played at BHS. "When they asked me, I thought about it for maybe a day," Hughes said. "I knew I was going to do it. I just wanted to keep them in suspense a little bit." Hughes said "yes" on the second day of spring practice. Seven months later, the redshirt freshman is starting at cornerback for 3-2 Oregon State, which plays at No. 18 California and No. 12 UCLA the next two weeks. "I liked offense because I got the ball. But I love defense," said Hughes, who will make his second start Saturday at Cal. "Defense is where it's at because of the intensity, and it seems to be more competitive." Hughes has played in all five Oregon State games, getting his first start in the Beavers' most recent contest, a 44-33 win over Washington State on Oct. 1. He broke up three passes and had seven tackles after a shaky start.

"The first half didn't go as well as I'd like. A guy caught a touchdown on me," Hughes said. "The second half, it was exciting. I was able to see all the practice paying off." The adjustment to college cornerback is ongoing for Hughes, a 5-foot-11, 174-pounder who played receiver last year on the scout team in practice. On offense, he had the luxury of starting every play in an upright stance. That changed the day he moved to defense. "At receiver, you don't necessarily have to play low as far as sinking your hips," he said. "My first day at corner, my back was hurting just because I wasn't used to always squatting. You have to be in a more athletic position at all times. "And then there's backpedaling. I'd never really learned how to backpedal. It's still pretty ugly at times." Hughes has made 15 tackles, tying for ninth on the team, with 1.5 tackles for loss. His three pass breakups tie him for second-most in a secondary which has given up 349 passing yards per game, worst in the Pac-10 Conference and among the worst nationally.

"The first half of the season we kind of let ourselves down. We gave up a lot of yards," Hughes said. "I look forward to changing that. It's just another challenge." Hughes opened the season as the "gunner" on punt coverage and also was on the kickoff coverage unit. He returned kicks at BHS, but said, "I won't be doing that in college." "I weigh a buck-74," he said, laughing. Hughes gradually worked his way into the secondary, getting in for 13 plays against Louisville on Sept. 17 and around 50 plays against Arizona State on Sept. 24. His mother, Ceneta Brooks of Bloomington, attended the 63-27 loss at Louisville. Hughes said she likely will be at the Nov. 19 season finale at rival Oregon. Hughes stayed in Corvallis over the summer, taking classes and working out. He said the college town is "really boring in the summer," but is grateful to Ted Schmitz, a former coach and a drivers education teacher at BHS, for hooking him up with Oregon State. "He was the guy that made the phone call to get me out here," Hughes said. "Oregon State has been a blessing, a true blessing."

No comments: