Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Modesto Bee: Central Catholic lineman Galas switches commitment to Cal

By WILL DeBOARD

Dominic Galas has gone from being a Beaver to a Golden Bear.  The 6-foot-2-inch, 270-pound senior offensive lineman at Central Catholic High changed his non-binding commitment from Oregon State to Cal. Galas, who recently was named to the CalHiSports.com all-state football team, became a hot commodity following a strong performance in the CIF Division III State Championship Bowl Game in Carson.  That was when Cal offered Galas a scholarship. He's the No. 9-ranked center in the country, according to national recruiting Web site rivals.com.

Oregon State offered Galas a scholarship Nov. 9. He committed to the Beavers four days later.  "I was happy with Oregon State," Galas said. "They were the first school to offer me (a scholarship), and I liked the program. But when Cal offered, I wanted to see what it was like. I wanted to make sure I was making the right decision."  He visited Cal's campus Jan. 12. Four days later, Bears coach Jeff Tedford made a trip to Newman to watch Galas in a wrestling dual meet at Orestimba High. And last Friday, Galas told Tedford he was going to play for Cal.  "I grew up rooting for Cal and thinking I would someday play there," Galas said. "But even when I took the trip to Cal, I was still thinking Oregon State."

That changed when he set foot on campus.  "I looked around and I knew this was the place," Galas said. "I loved the school, loved the coaches. It's a second-to-none program." At Cal, Galas will learn behind incumbent center Alex Mack, voted the top offensive lineman in the Pac-10 as a junior.  Galas also becomes a legacy: His father, Tim, played on the line for Cal from 1979-82. The most difficult part of his decision was telling Oregon State's coaches he wouldn't be going to Corvallis.  “It was really tough telling them," Galas said. "I wish there was an easier way. But I feel going to Cal is the right decision. Once I saw the campus, everything just felt right. I'll be very happy at Cal."  Galas will sign his national letter of intent on Feb. 6, which is signing day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Bears. We seem to be coming on strong here at the end. Can't compete with the big boys without the big boys. Although, Oregon State seems to beat us every time in Berkeley with no one above a two star rating...

Anonymous said...

damn you anonymous why you gotta bring that up!?!