Monday, January 07, 2008

Mercury News: Cal's Tedford hires offensive coordinator

HE WILL GIVE UP PLAY-CALLING DUTIES TO EX-49ERS QB COACH

Cal Coach Jeff Tedford gave up his role as play-caller Sunday, hiring Frank Cignetti as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.   Cignetti spent last season as the 49ers' quarterbacks coach and has 19 years of experience at the college and professional level. Offensive-line coach Jim Michalczik had the title of offensive coordinator last season, but Tedford called the plays.

Tedford also announced the hiring of Al Simmons as defensive-backs coach and the promotion of Tosh Lupoi from graduate assistant to defensive-line coach. Kevin Daft switches from quarterbacks coach to wide-receivers coach.  "The main reason for all this realignment of the staff is so I can be more efficient with my head-coaching duties - spend more time with a lot of things," Tedford said. "Right now as the play-caller, I kind of get so involved with the offense. I want to be able to have a chance to do some things with the defensive players and special teams."

The Bears (7-6) lost six of their final seven games before beating Air Force in the Armed Forces Bowl. Tedford said he was going to evaluate everything about the program.  "It wasn't that I was neglecting anything," he said. "I always try to keep my finger on the pulse of what's going on. It's hard to do it all. I don't have any regrets about anything this year as far as that is concerned. I just feel like I could probably be more efficient."

Tedford said he and Cignetti have a lot in common in terms of football philosophy. They also share a common former job - each was the offensive coordinator at Fresno State, Tedford's alma mater.  "The bottom line is my wife and I missed college football," Cignetti said. "We missed the passion and the spirit of the college game, and also the opportunity to help student-athletes develop their life skills."

No comments: