Thursday, November 16, 2006

L.A. Daily Breeze: Washington should be healthy for Cal

For the second straight day, tailback Chauncey Washington didn't participate in practice, but no one's expecting the junior to miss USC's Pacific-10 Conference title-deciding game against California at the Coliseum.  "I feel better today than I did yesterday,'' said Washington, the former South Torrance High star who hurt a knee on his second carry Saturday against Oregon. "Today I was just doing normal squats without any weight on it and it felt good, so it's coming back. I should be good to go on Saturday.''  The play after Washington was hurt, his replacement, Emmanuel Moody also injured his knee. Moody won't play this week. Washington was able to return to the game and rushed for a career-high 119 yards and scored three touchdowns, including one of 43 yards. Coach Pete Carroll did his best to nudge Washington back onto the field.

"I had to take it on myself to be a leader and finish the game,'' Washington said. "I came to the sideline and Coach Carroll asked me if I was fine. I talked to him and he said, 'See what you can do. You seem fine to me.' He gave me the confidence of going in there and playing, and after that, I scored three touchdowns.''  Did he think he still had enough to break away for a long touchdown run?  "I've always got a 43-yard run in me,'' Washington said, smiling. "It just happened to come out at that time.''  

Looking out for No. 1

It's no secret that for No. 4 USC (8-1, 6-1 Pac-10) to beat Cal (8-2, 6-1), the Trojans will have to contain receiver/returner DeSean Jackson, the sophomore from Long Beach Poly. Not only is Jackson averaging 18 yards a catch with nine touchdowns, he is averaging 20.7 yards per punt return with a conference-record four touchdowns, including a 95-yarder against Arizona last week. "He's a playmaker all over the field,'' USC sophomore cornerback Cary Harris said. "Punt returns, 60-yard touchdowns -- he knows what he wants to do out there and he does it.''

Read the entire article here.

 

No comments: