Friday, April 15, 2005

Rodgers hopes hometown Niners think he's No. 1

Though Aaron Rodgers has been to sunny Miami and chilly Cleveland while auditioning for a spot in the NFL, he hopes he'll get to stay close to home with his favorite team.
The California quarterback spent Wednesday at the San Francisco 49ers' training complex, meeting with coaches and trainers as the club finished its four in-depth interviews with the finalists to be the first overall pick in next week's draft.
Rodgers' arm strength, poise and experience in the West Coast offense make him attractive to the 49ers, who are leaning toward selecting a quarterback -- either Rodgers or Utah's Alex Smith -- who will be their starter next season.
And though the 49ers earned the pick by compiling the NFL's worst record under fired coach Dennis Erickson, Rodgers is confident he could help Mike Nolan's new coaching staff rebuild a winner.
"I think I'm a guy you can build around," Rodgers said. "I think my leadership style plus my skills combined make me the kind of guy you can stick in a situation, and then bring guys in to make me better and make the team better."

No comments: