Saturday, April 30, 2005

Pack's Rodgers has first workout as pro

Associated Press
GREEN BAY, Wis. - With Brett Favre taking the minicamp off, the focus was on top draft pick Aaron Rodgers when the former Cal quarterback practiced for the first time Friday as a Green Bay Packer.
Surrounded by media in the Lambeau Field locker room, he said the attention was something he wasn't seeking, despite his status as the 24th player taken in the draft.
"I've never been big about the attention," he said. "It's never been that important to me. Not that I don't enjoy it, but I don't relish it. I don't live for it. I let my playing do the talking."
With the 35-year-old Favre excused from the minicamp by coach Mike Sherman, the 21-year-old Rodgers had ample opportunity to get his arm loose.
"I thought he had a good day for a first time out of the blocks," Sherman said. "Obviously, we have a long way to go, trying to gain the knowledge of our offense."
The coaching staff worked Rodgers in a rotation with backups Craig Nall and J.T. O'Sullivan during team drills. Nall handled all of the reps with the No. 1 offense, though he struggled with a total of five interceptions in the two practices.
O'Sullivan and Rodgers split the remaining reps while working with the backup groups.
Rodgers had no passes intercepted, but overthrew receivers on a number of short to intermediate routes.
He conceded he made "a lot of mistakes."

No comments: