Saturday, July 26, 2008

LA Daily News: Pac-10 Teams Playing Big Time Opponents

Link.

 

Cal-related quote:

Play calling reversal: Cal coach Jeff Tedford has won't be calling the plays this year, as he did last year. He'll turn those duties over to offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti.

"Over our tenure I've been the sole play caller and a role player in play calling," he said. "Last season, I was the sole play caller and I felt I needed to go back to the other role so I could focus on doing a better job as my role as head coach. I'll still be involved in game planning, but it's very difficult to do it all and put your hand on the pulse of the team when you're the play caller. I need to do a better job of being a head coach and it will free me up a little bit."

Longshore in for the long haul: Cal quarterback Nate Longshore (Canyon of Canyon Country), who suffered a sprained ankle last year and played in one game in 2005 due to injury, will have to work to maintain the quarterback job.

"We feel we're in a great situation," Tedford said. "Obviously, Nate has won a lot of games for us and is a very talented guy. Kevin Riley came in last season and had a couple of opportunities in the Oregon State game and the bowl game. I feel we have a lot of depth. We'll pick a starter probably the week of the first game. It may take both of them to achieve our goals this year."

No comments: