Thursday, March 17, 2005

Interview With Aaron Rodgers About Today's Workout

Rodgers confident after impressive workout


By Bob Elliott
NFL.com

(March 17, 2005) -- With about 70 personnel from NFL teams watching his every move, former California Bears quarterback Aaron Rodgers disappointed none of them in a featured workout on the Berkeley campus. A few hours later, Rodgers discussed his big moment with NFL.com:

First of all, had you heard about how well Alex Smith did yesterday?

Actually I didn't. I had just found out in an interview afterwards I did that he had a good workout. But I'm not surprised; he's a good player.

But I was focused on what I had to do to have a good workout. I knew he was going, but I had no idea how well he did. I only worry about things I can control; I can't control the way his workout went. I can only how good mine went and I know mine went really well; I felt great about it.

What was it like being out there before all those NFL executives and media?

A lot of my former teammates were up in the stands. My trainer was there from my workout place. A lot of media and a lot of teams were there as well. But once I got into the workout, I was able to focus on what I had to do. And like in a game situation where I can block out the fans, I pretty much just blocked out everybody else and was able to have a really good workout.

What do you think you did the best?

I was just myself. I think I showed the accuracy, arm strength and fundamentals that I think you can see on the film, and just reassured the teams I am as good as they think I am on film.

Were you nervous before you got out there?

Well, the first throw I was a little nervous but after that, you get the sweat going and it's just a matter of muscle memory making the throws you know you can make. I got into a rhythm and threw really well. My receivers did a really good job, too. They made some really good catches. There were a couple of drops but they did a really good job.

Now that you've finished showing what you can do and receiving so many compliments afterward, are you even more confident that you're going to be the first quarterback taken on April 23?

That's out of my hands. That's up to the teams. I think I reassured the teams that I'm a good pick, that I have the arm strength, I can move around a little bit, I can throw on the run and I'm extremely accurate.

What was the general reaction you got from the NFL people afterward?

Very positive. A lot of teams came up and congratulated me on a good workout, but I don't anybody was really surprised. I think people probably expected me to have a good workout, and I had a good workout. There was one slight overthrow and three drops -- those were the only balls that hit the ground. I was on.

You had a meeting and lunch with the 49ers braintrust afterward (head coach Mike Nolan, offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy and quarterback coach Jim Hostler). How did that go?

It was good. I really enjoyed my time with the two Mikes and Jim. It's encouraging just knowing the Niners have got such good people working for them.

Did you talk money at all, or about the workout?

We didn't even really talk football much. We were just shooting the breeze, talking about anything and everything. Mike Nolan's a Northern California guy. He knows the area pretty well where I'm from, so we're talking about Chico a lot, and about our familes.

So what's next for you?

I'm going to take some time off. I'm going to relax a little bit, chill out, hang with the family. I'll continue to work out, and keep my body in shape and keep my weight up.

I don't really have another big day. There was a big buildup to the combine for me, and then a little lull and then a big buildup for this workout. And now I'm going to New York for a predraft thing next week. And numerous teams have said they want me to come out for a day and come to the complex -- Cleveland, Tampa, San Francisco and Miami, obviously. So, just do those and then hope for the best on April 23.

No comments: