Saturday, May 02, 2009

SF Examiner: Believe the hype - Jahvid Best is key for Bears in 2009

By Rob Calonge

Before I begin, let me just say that I don't subscribe to the theory that one player can make or break a football team's season.  My opinion is that if your team tanks due to an injury by your star player, then you weren't that good to begin with.  In other words, this isn't basketball we're talking about. There's no denying that when you lose a starter, on offense or defense, that you'll see a drop off in talent with their respective replacement.  Common sense dictates that those depth charts you're always wondering about aren't created to practice writing player's names. Sometimes, a player gets injured and his substitute turns out to be the better option.  That doesn't happen very often, which is why it's such big news when it does happen. Over the last couple of weeks, I've been talking to former Cal Bears who are now heading to the NFL.  When talking about the Bears chances in 2009, I kept hearing how Jahvid Best is the key to the Bears' season.

When I asked Rulon Davis what the Bears' strength would be, it was surprising to hear a defensive player say, "Jahvid Best."  He went on to say that he thought that Best would carry the team next season.

Link to rest of story.

No comments: