Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Contra Costa Times: Sixth season is no fantasy for Tepper

By Jonathan Okanes

On the two days in January he knew the NCAA would be handing down the decision that would set the course for his future, Cal left tackle Mike Tepper tapped into the most powerful resources at his disposal. Like Mickey Mouse, for instance.

"I went to Disneyland because it's the happiest place on earth," Tepper said. "I owe it all to Disney."  Mickey and the gang came through for Tepper, who received the news that he was granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA. That means Tepper, who missed last season and the 2005 season because of injuries, is back out on the Memorial Stadium field this spring. "It feels amazing," Tepper said. "I'm happy to be out here. I'm really happy about this opportunity I have, coming back for another year." Tepper was waiting in line for the "Finding Nemo" submarine ride when he saw an incoming call on his cell phone from coach Jeff Tedford. Tepper was shaking as he answered.  "I just wanted to call you because I thought that I was the one who needed to tell you this," Tedford told Tepper, building the suspense. "I will see you in the fall."  "I went on the ride and was so pumped," Tepper said. "I was running around Disneyland that whole day smiling."

Link to rest of story.

No comments: