Friday, December 21, 2007

Contra Costa Times: ESPN's Herbstreit Picks Cal....As Team Most Likely to be Blown Out in a Bowl Game

Negative comments fire up Bears

By Jonathan Okanes

BERKELEY — Cal already seemed to have overcome the motivation blues. But just to make sure, ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit gave the Bears some added ammunition.  Herbstreit, appearing on ESPN's "College Football Live," picked Cal as the team most likely to be blown out during the bowl season. The Golden Bears, who meet Air Force in the Armed Forces Bowl on New Year's Eve, finished the regular season by losing six of their final seven games.  Some questioned how excited the Bears would be to play in the Armed Forces Bowl after starting the season 5-0 and moving up to No. 2 in the national rankings. Cal went from a team being discussed in national championship discussions to barely qualifying for a bowl game altogether.

"I think he's calling us out, that he thinks we're weak and that we play with no heart," Cal defensive end Rulon Davis said. "We took great offense to it. I don't want him to think we're a bunch of punks. If Air Force thinks that's what they're dealing with, I'm going to make sure that's not going to happen. I'm going to do what whatever I have to do to make sure that's definitely not going to happen. They're definitely not going to make a punk out of me, because I am not a punk."  The Bears actually haven't seemed to have a problem with motivation. After their loss to Stanford in the Big Game, they held a players-only meeting to get everyone on the same page, and team chemistry has appeared to improve substantially. Cal's practices recently have been as spirited as they have been all season, and many players seem to be relishing a final chance to prove something on national television.

"Nobody likes to get called out, especially on national television," Cal right tackle Mike Tepper said. "I can tell you that our team wasn't too happy about it."  Herbstreit appeared to be a fan of Cal earlier this season, and he picked the Bears to beat Oregon in what was then a pivotal game on the national scene.  "I'm sure he's just trying to make headlines, or sell the TV show," Cal quarterback Nate Longshore said. "I'm sure some people really do have that opinion about us and look at us as a big disaster this year. But I feel like we're the healthiest we've been in a while, and everyone's mind is clear and not so congested with everything that was going on before."

MOST OUTSTANDING: Davis, who has missed seven games this season with foot and knee injuries, says he feels "outstanding" as the Bears head into the bowl game. Davis suffered a stress fracture in his foot in the Bears' third game of the season, missed four games, then returned to play for about five plays against Arizona State before suffering a sprained knee. He came back to compete in the Big Game. "It's been a long time," Davis said. "I feel like I'm in spring ball shape, the way my body feels — no aches, no pains, no nothing. Just heart." Davis said the extra time off between the end of the regular season and the bowl game has allowed him to get completely healthy. Davis began the season as a starter. "I'm fired up," he said. "I can't wait to see these guys (Air Force) and see what they're about. I'm looking forward to going to Dallas, doing my job and getting a victory."

EXTRA POINTS: Cal junior wide receiver DeSean Jackson reiterated that he will wait until after the bowl game to decide whether he will enter the NFL draft. When asked if the Armed Forces Bowl definitely will be his last game at Cal, he said: "Not at all. I honestly don't know what my decision is going to be. I'm definitely not worried about that right now." ... The Bears will hold their last practice of the season at Memorial Stadium today. The team will then part ways for the holidays before reconvening to travel to Fort Worth, Texas, on Thursday.

No comments: