Thursday, June 30, 2005

Cal Football Player Trades Season For A Life

POSTED: 7:42 am PDT June 30, 2005
BERKELEY -- Offensive tackle Mike Tepper's career with the University of California Golden Bears football team may be on hold, but the depths of what he's willing to sacrifice certainly isn't.
Video On Demand: Sarah Jarvis Reports On Cal Football Player Risks Life, Career To Defend Friend

Tepper was seriously injured in an assault early Sunday morning on a Berkeley street corner. He was walking with friends when four guys in a car began hassling a young lady he was with.
"The guy kept going you know, pushing it," said Tepper. "I said: 'Hey, man, she's really not that interested.'"
The exchange continued as the driver's anger grew. He slammed his car in reverse, aiming it at Tepper and the girl. The Cal tackle, reacted quickly, tackling the young woman to push her out of the way of the car.
"The first thing I did, I didn't have time to think," he said. "I hit her and tackled her practically. I was falling on her and my leg got caught under the guy's tire."
The driver not only ran over Tepper's ankle once, he threw the car into forward and ran over it a second time. Meanwhile, the girl suffered only scraps on her leg. Berkeley police arrested the driver after a short chase Sunday morning.
Tepper's injuries to his ankle were severe -- he cut a blood vessel, tore a ligament and broke several bones. He underwent surgery Wednesday morning where doctors put in nine screws and a plate.
His 2005 season has come to an end. His career is definitely in jeopardy since he will not be able to begin even jogging until November.
But Tepper said he does not feel like a hero.
"I just thought it was a natural reaction," he said. "I don't really think of it as me being a hero."
Still the cost is on his mind.
"You set those goals and work hard and you're almost there and it just cuts you," he said. "It just totally takes you down. You strive so hard for this goal and it never happens. But maybe it wasn't my time, I don't know."
"I supposedly save a life. A limb for a life... I guess it's worth it."

No comments: