Sunday, November 01, 2009

Contra Costa Times: Bears stun Sun Devils on late kick

Jonathan Okanes

Cal kicker Giorgio Tavecchio says he never notices the distance of his field-goal attempts — except in his dreams.  He probably noticed the length of his final kick Saturday, because it was a dream come true.

Tavecchio nailed a 24-yard field goal with 21 seconds left to lift the Bears to a 23-21 victory over Arizona State in front of 43,659 fans at Sun Devil Stadium. "My mentality before I kick a field goal is, I really don't remember how far it is," Tavecchio said. "In my dreams, it's always 55 yards. I don't think of distances in reality, but in my dreams, why not?"

Tavecchio's winning kick made up for his miss from 39 yards with 5:46 remaining that also would have given the Bears the lead. He said it was his first winning field goal at any level. "I was praying for (another chance)," Tavecchio said. "Something inside me just told me that I was going to get another chance. A kicker's greatest dream is a game-winning field goal. I feel very blessed to have been able to win the game at the end."

 

Link to rest of article.

No comments: