Thursday, May 29, 2008

San Jose Mercury: Tedford Says the Problem Last Year Wasn't "so much" with Desean, but his Family

Note from blogger: I apologize for not updating the blog in several days.  I have nerve impingement in my cervical spine, travelling through my shoulder blade, down my left hand and into my fingers, making them numb.  I found the following article in the San Jose Mercury, which tends to shed some light (finally) on what happened last season.

 

By John Ryan

DeSean Makes It Clear: 'I'm no T.O."

It's always better to explain who you are than who you aren't, so DeSean Jackson is already starting from behind with Eagles fans.  The former Cal receiver told the Philadelphia Daily News he doesn't want to be known for the Terrell Owens-like behavior of "talking about your teammates." Nor does he want to be the next Freddie Mitchell, who, Jackson has heard, "talked his way out of the league."

Cal Coach Jeff Tedford told the Daily News the problem last year wasn't so much with Jackson as it was with his family.   "With outside opinions and outside advice always eating at DeSean, he was in a very tough spot," Tedford said. "He's trying to be a team guy, trying to fit in and play his role, but dealing with outside information always eating at him, and not always positive."  To which Jackson's dad, Bill, bristles. Of course, Bill also said, "DeSean has not had a quarterback since he played Pop Warner football. He didn't have a real quarterback at Long Beach Poly or at Cal."  Ah, this shouldn't be a problem. Nothing ever gets blown out of proportion in Philly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So very sorry to hear about your nerve situation. I've had a few bouts with such things and know they are horrible.

As a cal football fanatic, class of 91, I check your site every day for any shred of news and so truly wish you well in your recovery.

Thanks for all you do to feed my desire for information.