Tuesday, July 26, 2005

One ex-quarterback replaces another at Cal

By Jonathan Okanes
Contra Costa Times
After one season in Cal football's radio booth, color analyst Mike Pawlawski has decided to leave the team to pursue other interests.
A Cal source said Pawlawski will be replaced by former Cal quarterback and quarterbacks coach Troy Taylor.
Pawlawski moved upstairs into the booth last year after serving as the team's sideline reporter. At the time, Cal wanted Pawlawski as its analyst because it viewed him as a blossoming broadcaster who could be lured away by network television. Pawlawski replaced Lee Grosscup, who was the Bears' color analyst for 15 seasons.
"I think he was outstanding," longtime Cal play-by-play announcer Joe Starkey said. "I'm sorry that he decided to move on. I just wonder if he won't get back into it doing something else. My feeling is he'd be able to do that."
Pawlawski runs his own video production company and hosts a fly fishing show on the Outdoor Channel called "Familiar Waters." He said he wants to continue to develop his company while still being able to spend time with his family, something that was becoming difficult to do with all of his obligations. He also was employed by Cal as a fund-raiser, a job he also has given up.
"It's kind of bittersweet," Pawlawski said. "But with everything on top of each other, I almost never saw my family. Unfortunately as much as I love Cal, it took a ton of time to do what I was doing."
Pawlawski plans on keeping his job doing Arena Football League games for Fox Sports Net and NBC and said he'll be around Cal as much as he can. Pawlawski is a former star quarterback for the Bears, leading them to the Citrus Bowl in 1991 when he was the Pac-10's Co-Offensive Player of the Year.
"I thought for a long time that I would do the Cal job my whole career," Pawlawski said. "But you work so hard in the broadcast business to try to finally get that job. I'd like my company to be a full production house someday, doing television, film and everything else."

No comments: